5 fruits and vegetables not to be given to your pet!

Many masters like to give their pets a taste of new things in order to learn a little more about their tastes. If this is not dangerous in most cases, it is however necessary to know what should not be given to your animal, under penalty of serious intoxication…


While humans love it, our animals are very sensitive to it. Everything in this plant is toxic for them: the leaves, the fruit and even the stone. “This intoxication is mainly found in birds (especially parrots and parakeets), but can also affect other animal species, especially dogs, and to a lesser extent cats,” explains the Animal and Environmental Poison Centre (Capae) on its site. Cases of intoxication most often occur after eating the avocado flesh, but also the leaves of the potted plant. Among the symptoms: digestive disorders (vomiting, diarrhea) and breathing difficulties. Cardiovascular disorders are also possible, resulting in the appearance of oedemas and/or effusions. “In birds, sudden death or death within hours of ingesting avocado is possible, usually a few minutes after the onset of respiratory problems. The severity of the signs varies according to the amount of avocado ingested by the animal, but the toxic doses are not well known. …] If clinical signs are observed following the consumption of avocado by the animal (especially for birds), it is advisable to consult a veterinarian quickly,” concludes Capae.


CAPAE explains that it records about ten calls a year concerning potato ingestion and/or poisoning. All species are concerned but more particularly dogs, rabbits and chickens. Potatoes contain solanine, a substance toxic to our animals that irritates their digestive tract and is also nervously toxic. It is most concentrated in germinated or green tubers and in the sprouts themselves. Following an ingestion of raw potatoes, your pet will mainly have digestive problems (vomiting, constipation followed by diarrhea, sometimes blackish, and salivation). “Sometimes nervous complications can occur, such as tremors or loss of balance, as well as a drop in body temperature,” adds Capae.

There are two possible scenarios:

  1. acute poisoning, which mainly affects dogs that steal and eat potatoes. In this case, symptoms usually appear 2 to 3 hours after ingestion. Above 30 grams of green potatoes per kilo of weight, toxicity is proven.
  2. a chronic intoxication that is observed in rabbits and hens regularly fed with potato peels. Symptoms appear after 1 to 3 weeks of consumption.

No antidote exists. After the stop of consumption, the animal generally recovers quickly. Cooked potatoes are not toxic.


That’s right! This delicious fruit is toxic for our dogs and cats. Raisins and fresh grapes should be banned from the rewards of our companions and be careful if you go for a walk in the vineyard! Indeed, even if we don’t know what causes this toxicity in our animals, Capae has counted several dozen poisonings, some of which are fatal…”. The toxic dose of fresh grapes in dogs is in the order of 10 to 50 g/kg. Thus, one bunch of fresh grapes can be fatal for a dog weighing about 10 kg! As raisins are more concentrated in principle toxic, the toxic dose is lower”, details the Poison Control Center. Here again, the first symptoms are digestive disorders and depression, but the intoxication can evolve in the days to come with the onset of acute kidney failure. If your animal has consumed grapes, do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian to assess the risk and consider what action to take

Beware, dogs are fond of grapes that rot on the ground after falling off the vine!


Although we are not talking about fruits and vegetables here, they are plants that can be found in every kitchen. Raw, cooked or even dehydrated, they are toxic for our domestic carnivores (dogs, cats, ferrets). In fact, they contain sulphur derivatives that can cause an oxidizing effect on hemoglobin and the membrane of red blood cells. For a 10 kg dog, the toxic risk exists as soon as 150 g of onion is ingested. The most characteristic sign of this intoxication is the brown/red colouring of the urine. If the intoxication is not too serious, it is the only symptom observed and things improve in 8 to 15 days.


Autumn is coming, and with it the chestnuts! Leaves, buds and fruit contain substances that are toxic to all animals. Capae has mainly collected cases of intoxication in ruminants and horses, as well as in dogs that nibble chestnuts by play or gluttony. The toxic dose is not well known, especially since the content of toxic principles varies according to the season. Clinical signs appear within 6 hours after ingestion and are of a digestive nature: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain. It is necessary to monitor, but healing usually occurs within 24 hours. “In case of massive intoxication, nervous disorders (depression, paralysis, convulsions, etc.) may be observed. They have also been described in the hamster,” explains Capae. It is then necessary to go as quickly as possible to the veterinarian